More than just a modern art museum, the Caixa Forum is billed as a Cultural Centre and stages temporary exhibitions as well as concerts, arts related educational workshops and films.
There are 3 main exhibition halls, a cinema and a dedicated children’s activity area called Caixa Forum Kids.
There is just one permanent exhibit; Joseph Bueys’ Hinter dem Knochen wird gezählt (English: Counting behind the bone) which could be described as an introspective re-encounter with the outside world.
The exhibitions generally last from 3 to 4 months. This means that a new exhibition starts nearly every month which is great if you’re a Barcelona resident or a regular visitor and interested in art.
Current exhibitions (July 2013):
- What to think, what to desire, what to do – Modern art from the Caixa Foundation’s collection
- Japonisme – Looking at the arrival of Japanese art in Europe and its influence on European art at the start of the 20th century.
- Art 2 Points – A collection of modern art from the collection of Barcelona’s MACBA (another of my favourite museums)
- Windows on the world – Short films showing life in other parts of the world.
About the Building
The Caixa Forum is housed in the old Casaramona textile factory situated at the base of Montjuic, just 50m from the Magic Fountain.
The striking Art Nouveau building was designed by Josep Puig i Cadafalch and is said to be one of Barcelona’s most important Modernist buildings. In 2002 it was restored and converted into a museum with a new underground entrance hall and a glass/metal canopy designed by Arata Isozaki.
The Caixa Forum is close to Plaça Espanya at Av. Francesc Ferrer i Guàrdia, 6-8
How to get there
Nearest metro: Plaça Espanya (L1 and L3)
Bus routes: 13 and 150
Monday – Friday 10:00 – 20:00
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 – 21:00
Adults €6 (Online price €5.70)
Children under 16, Barcelona Card holders and people who bank with La Caixa: FREE ENTRY
Information in English?
Yes – Labels and information boards in English plus English language leaflets.
Other attractions nearby:
- The Magic Fountain
- The MNAC (Catalan National Art Museum)
- Plaça Espanya
- Poble Espanyol (The Spanish Village)